Welcome to WebSite!
Right now, check to see that you are reading this document
through your WebSite server and not as a file. Look at the URL
displayed in the box above this area. If it doesn't start with
http://, then you are not using the server. If needed, start
your web server now, and
click here to
switch to server-based reading. Then, as soon as possible, go through
the Server Self-Test and Demonstration!
You have successfully installed WebSite from O'Reilly
& Associates, Inc. WebSite's many features bring power and
flexibility to both you and your web server. Features in WebSite
(most of which are demonstrated in the
self-test and demonstration) include:
We encourage you to step through the
Server Self-Test and Demonstration, look at the
example Visual Basic 4 and C/C++ server applications, and
check out the online chapters of the WebSite book
that are online at
O'Reilly Software Online.
To get started with WebSite, we recommend you do the following:
- Fully graphical "property sheet" administration. Familiar and easy
to use (as you'll soon see).
- Virtual paths, URLs are mapped to directories. Your web documents
can be anywhere on your disks or other peoples' shared disks and
you have complete control over the URLs used to access them.
- Virtual servers, one running WebSite supports multiple home pages.
- User/group access control, even on Windows 95. Multiple sets of
users and groups for virtual servers and other demanding applications.
- Server-side include (SSI) processor for easy creation of dynamic
- Complete toolkit for developing server applications using Visual
Basic 4.0 (32-bit), including many samples (see /cgi-src/.
- Flexible display of directory listings, with annotations. No need
for running an FTP server. Supports the new "form-based file uploading"
(sample CGI included) so people can upload to your server.
- Support for the new "connection re-use" (or keep-alive) protocol.
Cuts down on network latency.
- Support for the new "byte range" protocol which allows incremental
page-at-a-time reading of documents. No need to download the entire
document before seeing it. Currently supported by
Adobe Acrobat "Amber" plug-in
- Send in the registration card in the front of the Getting
Started book, or register online in the registration area at
- Perform the Server
Demonstration and Self-Test (local server must be running)
- Read the Release Notes
WebSite Online Resources
WebSite includes online resources and examples for a variety of topics:
Learn More at O'Reilly Software Online
For the latest information on WebSite Professional and O'Reilly's other
software products, check out
O'Reilly Software Online.
© O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., 1994-96, All Rights Reserved.
O'Reilly Software Online, WebSite Central, and WebSite
are trademarks of O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.